When my husband and I travel, we inevitably end up having crazy conversations about what we’d do if we won the lottery. These usually happen when we’re on our way home and not looking forward to being back at work. As I was working around the house this morning, I started to think about my top ten list genealogy-wise, if there were no restrictions on time, travel or finances – a genealogical heaven, so to speak. The list is purely for fun and is a very different wish list from my genealogy ‘want to find’ list.
Here’s the list, which of course begins with me quitting my job!
- Book a ticket to Europe. I’m going to Wales (Aberystwyth area), England (Manchester area), then Poland & Ukraine (this may take a long time, I’ve got lots of ancestral places to see in these areas, so I’ll include number 2 as part of this process).
- Buy a house in Wales, which will be our summer home and close to the National Library of Wales (It will have an ocean view).
- I’m going to take my Mum & daughter along for the UK parts of the trip as we’ve all dreamed of a research trip there for so long.
- Meet two new relatives in the UK that I’ve made contact with in the past couple of years, and visit uncles, aunts and cousins to ‘interview’ them in person.
- Take a trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. (A long time dream of mine)
- In my new house will be a library housing as many history/genealogy books as I can fit!
- In my new house is a room just for my genealogy – with a brand new computer, two monitors and many filing cabinets. The walls will be covered in maps and photos. (If the lottery win is large enough, it will be climate controlled!)
- While I’m in Wales, I want to become fluent in Welsh, so I’ll take a Welsh immersion course.
- A good camera of course, for all the photographs I’ll be taking.
- I will complete my genealogical certification.
A bonus for me is that my husband has offered to travel with me to any of these places that have a golf course. So now we’re all set, just one thing left to do………
What does your list look like?